Take Our Kids to WorkTM is an annual program in which Grade 9 (or equivalent) students are hosted by parents, friends, relatives and volunteers at workplaces across the country every November. The program supports career development by helping students connect school, the world of work, and their own futures. Employers who register for this program are eligible to apply for the Canada’s Outstanding Employers Award. Take Our Kids to Work™ is a signature program which began in 1994 in the Greater Toronto area. Today, students across Canada, from Nunavut to Newfoundland participate in the program. Turning Technologies Canada Inc. is proud to be a corporate partner of the Take Our Kids to Work program.
On the first Wednesday of every November Grade 9, Senior 1 (Manitoba) and Secondary III (Quebec) students spend the day in the workplace of a parent, relative, friend or volunteer experiencing and learning about the world of work as they begin to explore possible career paths.
Apparently, the days of working at, and retiring from, one job or career are long gone. Research suggests that today’s students will have multiple careers over the span of their working years. To be successful, they will need to master both new technologies and complex social and organizational systems. Learning in school becomes more effective and relevant if students can see where their education might lead them in the future. Spending a ‘day in the life’ of a profession or workplace is a fun and fascinating way to explore the world of work, think about career options, and make informed educational decisions.
Tips to involve all students:
- Encourage parents and friends to take their son, daughter and/or a friend with them to work
- Bring your own child to work with you if he/she is the appropriate age
- Work with the cooperative education teacher to identify potential workplaces
- Encourage your school and school board to involve its own employees
- Invite workplaces that have been involved in the past to expand their participation
Who Benefits From the Take Our Kids to Work Program?
The program benefits students, teachers, schools, parents, communities, organizations – and Canada’s future workforce.
Students: Experience the world of work first hand.
Students benefit because – it’s an opportunity for them to explore career options, through:
- Understanding the importance of staying in school by learning first-hand what skills are required in today’s workplace
- Thinking about what aspects of their “work day” they liked and what they didn’t
- Exploring career options in a practical way and gain a better understanding of just how many career choices are open to them
- By spending a day in the life of a working adult, they develop an appreciation of their parents’ work and motivations
Parents: Introduce your child to the world of work.
Parents benefit because – it helps them prepare their children for the future by:
- Discussing work experiences with their child
- Beginning a career discussion based on actual experiences
- Enriching their child’s experience with discussions before, during and after the workplace visit
Teachers: Help your students experience a day in the life of a mentor.
Teachers benefit because – the Take Our Kids to Work™ program allows real life experiences to bridge with learning in the classroom.
- Helps make the connection between education and future career paths
- Demonstrates the complexity of career choices and the benefits of early exploration
- Allows teachers and students to explore career options in practical ways
Employers: Play a role in the development of young Canadians by hosting a student.
Employers Benefit because – the program is an ideal way to enhance corporate social responsibility initiatives.
- Enhances employee engagement, morale and loyalty
- Showcases your workplace as progressive and committed to education
- Publicizes the range of career opportunities in your organization and sector
- Garners positive brand and corporate recognition
- Makes your company eligible to apply for a Canada’s Outstanding Employers Award
Turning Technologies Canada Inc. is proud to once again be a partner of the Take our Kids to Work program. We encourage other businesses in Canada to embrace this rewarding program.
Let us know about your Take Our Kids to Work strategy, and you could be selected to receive a complimentary response technology rental kit for use during your Take Our Kids to Work events.
Kimberly Rowntree | Marketing Director
CLICK HERE for more information regarding the 2015 Take Our Kids to Work program.